Last year, the Dutch bicycle market grew, for the first time since 2007 when total sales reached a record of 1.4 million. Nevertheless, in the past decade, the booming e-bike market continued to push up both average value and turnover. But the decrease in conventional bikes was considerable to a point that total volumes kept dropping.
In 2016, even e-bike sales went through a small dip, raising fear for market saturation. The 2017-result shows however that the 2016-dip was a one-off. Last year, a total of 957,000 bicycles were sold in the Netherlands. that was 29,000 or a good 3% more than in 2016. With that, a total of 294,000 e-bikes were sold, which resulted in a 31% share in volume, 2% more than in 2016.
E-bikes accounted for more than half of the 976 million turnover of the total, Dutch bike market. Turnover grew with 4.2% compared to 2016. In that year, for the very first time average value of (e-)bicycles sold in the Netherlands exceeded the limit of € 1,000. Last year, average value continued to grow from € 1,020 to € 1,086. 36% of all bicycles sold in the Netherlands last year were in the price category > € 900
Speed pedelecs still remain a small category but sales are increasing: from 3,576 in 2016 to 4,572 in 2017, i.e. just under +28%. LEVA-EU member Stromer is the absolute market leader in this segment with more than 40% share in sales volume. Riese & Müller (17%) came second, followed by Gazelle (9%) and Sparta (9%). So 4 brands hold 75% of the market, while the remaining 25% is shared by no less than 31 brands!
This article is based on information supplied by the Dutch trade associations RAI and BOVAG.